Friday, November 19, 2010

defense mechanisms

So this week we learned about defense mechanisms. I think that it's interesting, because it's something we as humans and me as an individual use everyday in our lives. I am especially good at rationalization. Not only do I use it toward other people but also against myself. It ease the disappointment/guilt that comes up when I don't do something. For example I see that there is an activity on the school that I think seems interesting. But I'm sort of shy and insecure, so I don't know if I want to do it alone. So I just make up an excuse, oh well I'm fine without it and don't need to join it. It's not repression, I am aware of that I'm just making it up for myself but it's still easier.

So why do we need these? Why is it so hard for us to deal with the emotions that make us feel uncomfortable? Is it because it's a natural behaviour that we have within us, like the animals or is it something we learn as we grow up? I think it might be both, but I think that what we are more influenced of what we are experience and see in our life. I think so since we are all different and come from different backgrounds. I guess I believe the behavioral perspective on that one. I do believe that we have all of these mechanisms in us from when we get born. But what might be the cause of all of this is that we are lazy and like to take the easy way. It's a little bit like procrastinating, maybe that's what we do all the time, just in different ways. I think we like to live in our perfect little bubble and we do what we can to keep it that way. It is important to know that we have these though and that in the long time we will have to deal with our feelings whehter  we want it or not.

(time published: 10:40 pm)

No comments:

Post a Comment