Friday, December 10, 2010

brain disorders

So this week I've mostly learned about brain disorders, at least that's the only thing I can remember now, an hour before the weekly blog is due (good work Amanda!). My project was on Synesthesia,  a disorder that makes your senses completely cross wired. For example, you see a square and you smell raspberries. Or you eat chicken and see green. It's interesting that it's even called a disease, from what I've understand, people who have this wouldn't want to get rid of it and it actually seems sort of fun. They see life from a more vivid perspective. Other than Synesthesia, we've talked about Alzheimer's, autism and Parkinson.

To live with a brain disorder must be one of the hardest thing to do, there is really no room in society for people with extra need. They have to go through every day and dealing with all these different problems that for people without a disorder can't eve imagine. What's scary about them is that there is no cure and there is not enough research for something to change peoples lives yet.

Something I think is extra interesting is that autism is a spectrum disorder. How can you really now when someone is suffering from a brain disease? We all have faults, and not all of them are functional, I mean, I am just too shy and that makes me end up in situations that make my life harder than if I would just relax a bit more. My point is, we all have some faults and I'm sure that if someone really wanted to, then everyone could be diagnosed with something.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda your right.
    It would be hard if we had a problem with our brain. We wouldn't be ourself. We would have a kind of a new life to deal with. And if there was no cure for the disorder, I would be really, and think that I would have it forever and it wont me alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made a valid point when you said, "There is really no room in society for people with extra need." It seems like as soon as someone is diagnosed with some kind of disability or illness they are medicated and tossed to the side. society isn't very accepting and helpful towards people with brain disorders.

    ReplyDelete